Thursday, October 21, 2010

In the late thirties educated middle class Jews were handed back to the Nazis by the Swiss Authorities because they were trying to enter the country fleeing a "lawful" regime. If you think the Taliban are kinder gentler folk than the Nazis well you simply have rocks in your head. I am so unspeakably disgusted at (by any standard in the world) privelidged rich white Australians saying thing like "our schools are already overcrowded" or "these people are queue jumpers" or "why are we spending money on them?" and way way worse. I am disgusted at the ugliness of fat spoilt australians who have never known a days hunger, never been afraid for their lives, and I am not talking about a near miss, I am talking about day after day, month after month of the relentless frowning presence of death dealt out on a whim. Places where you can be killed if you are a woman outside with a lock of hair showing, where your family can be slaughtered for your beard not being the right length. I am talking about a system of oppression that makes the nazis look like Santa Claus. In the Sudan young boys would sleep in the homes of neighbours so that when they were forced to commit attrocities against the women in the house they at least would not be committing those acts on their sisters, mothers and aunts.
Would I pay a people smuggler, would I jump a queue, would I take my young children on a boat less safe than your average tinny across an ocean? You bet I would. Imagine my feelings being told that my children would cause some overcrowding at some privelidged primary school so I should just bugger off back where I came from. We can't stop the horrors but we should not stop trying.
Yep let's send the bastards back where they came from, I'll hold them down and you can tie them up.
Let's have a reality TV show about it wife swap Afghanistan where an Australian woman and her kids swap places for a month with a family in beautiful rustic Afghanistan and some poor Afghani woman and here children have to suffer the over crowded public schools and the long 40 minute drive over well made highways to get to a hospital with the best facilities in the world, they'd soon learn how well off they are and stop trying to jump a queue.
This makes me want to vomit, the good people of Northam and Woodside must be protected from this added burden.

Spend one hour, just one hour with a refugee family. Spend five minutes under a Taliban regime or in a place where the next sound you hear could be a scream, imagine a time when you were afraid for your life and hold that feeling for a year, two years then tell me that the tone of the neighbourhood is at risk.

Is this what we have become?

Sorry to vent, but when good people do nothing evil will flourish.

I hope I never lose the anger at this mindless jingoistic flag waving substitute for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment